What are logical controls?
Logical controls are preventative controls that apply information technology software’s and systems to prohibit unwanted access to information within a computer system. Nonphysical access controls are also referred to as logical controls. These will prevent information assets from being accessed electronically.
Logical controls that can prevent access to an organizations informational asset include:Authentication of unauthorized users from being permitted to access a company’s systems
1) User identification (e.g. username and passwords)
2) Password management: Passwords are generated to protect access from outside, unwanted users of information. This is a method that is applied to only enabling access to those who are authorized. Passwords have certain characteristics that will allow them to become more preventative than others.
3) Network firewalls: Parts of computer systems or networks that are designed to block unauthorized access while permitting outward communication.
4) Data encryption: A security method that applies information that is encoded and can only be accessed or decrypted by a user with the correct encryption key. Encrypted data will also sometimes appear scrambled or unreadable to a person or entity accessing it without permission.
5) Access control lists: Tables that tell a computer operating system who has the right to access it. Rights very per user and allows them to have a particular objective (e.g. accessing a file directory or individual file).
6) Digital certificates: A digital certificate is an electronic “password” that allows a person, organization to exchange data securely over the internet using the public key infrastructure (PKI).
7) Data encryption: Data encryption is the process of encoding information so that only the recipient with the ability to decipher the text can do so.
You might also be interested in...
July 2021 Changes to The CPA Exam: Everything You Need to Know
Change is right around the corner! The talk of the (CPA) town is that changes are upon us and they are coming quickly. While this is not an overhaul in the way that CPA evolution will be in 2024, there are changes that are being made to all four sections (FAR, REG, AUD, and BEC) […]
2021 AICPA Released Questions
Buckle up and get ready to crush the CPA exam! The AICPA has released additional multiple choice questions for BEC, AUD, REG, and FAR. We’re beginning to incorporate the questions into the Universal CPA Review platform and we will be uploading videos for certain questions to each of the respective pages below. Creating a high […]
AICPA 2021 Released Questions for BEC
The moment we’ve all been waiting for! Additional question have been released by the AICPA for BEC! The topics are very random, so its a good way to test your understanding if you have been studying. If you haven’t been studying for BEC, it is a great way to see what you will be touching […]