Your Ask Joey ™ Answer

How to calculate the shareholders gain on property contributed to a C Corporation?

Shareholders can contribute property to a C Corporation in exchange for shares in the corporation. Under certain situations, the shareholder might have to recognize a gain on the contributed property.

To understand if a gain should be recognized, the shareholder should start with the debt assumed by the corporation and subtract their net book value (adjusted basis) in the property. If the debt is greater than the NBV of the property, then the shareholder will recognize a gain.

However, there are a few exceptions to the rule that would prevent the shareholder from having to recognize a gain. Shareholders will not be required to recognize gains for contributions made to corporations if they meet the following tests:

Back To All Questions

You might also be interested in...

  • Discontinued Operations on the FAR CPA Exam

    Overview of Discontinued Operations In financial reporting, discontinued operations refer to a component of a company’s core business or product line that have been divested or shut down. Discontinued operations will be reported (net of tax) separately from continuing operations on the income statement. The reason that discontinued operations are reported separately is so that...

  • Equity Method Excel Workbook

    If you would like to use the Excel workbook that was used to create the Universal CPA lecture on the equity method, please click the link below to download the Excel workbook: Equity Method Lecture Example

  • How Hard is the CPA Exam?

    So you’re thinking about taking the CPA exam? Whether you have a dream of becoming a tax advisor, feel as though you need public accounting experience, or just want to solidify your business acumen, the CPA license is one of the most prestigious and well respected licenses in the business world. The exam itself is...